Chitalishte Hristo G. Danov – 1904
The chitalishte was initially founded in the Marasha neighbourhood under the name Rodolyubie (Love of the Homeland). After the April uprising of 1876, the Marasha Chitalishte closed down. Almost 30 years later a group of print and press workers sharing a passion for books, knowledge and learning, laid the foundations of their own chitalishte and chose as a patron the notable publisher and former mayor of Plovdiv Hristo G. Danov. He accepted the dedication and responded that he wished the community house “would not be made of straw but of oak”. Hristo G. Danov donated 200 books from his personal library.
Since 1978 the chitalishte is housed in a three storey building on the territory of the Central district of Plovdiv; it continues to develop and introduce new activities, enriching the portfolio of services it offers for the citizens of Plovdiv and especially for the residential areas Hr. G. Danov, Osvobozhdenie (Liberation) and Kocho Chestemenski. The chitalishte has over 418 readers and a rich library with over 24,146 bibliographic units. The chitalishte has over 418 readers and a rich library with over 24,146 bibliographic units. The library undertakes many initiatives aimed at fostering the interest in books and print culture through innovative forms and is an active proponent of cultural values. The chitalishte is part of the project [email protected] libraries. The Union of the Blind in Bulgaria has donated text enlargement equipment for the needs of readers with visual impairment, thus making the chitalishte the only one in Plovdiv offering such services.
If you are curious to find out more, see the Information card of the chitalishte provided by the Regional centers for expert consultation and information (RCECI).
Director: Boyan Alexandrov Stanoev
Secretary: Maria Ivanova Georgieva
Librarian: Nadka Ibusheva
Address: 128 6th September Blvd.
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Closed on Sunday
Phone: +359 32 643986; +359 885 124781
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: http://chitalishtehrgdanov1904.informator.bg/bg/index.pl
The chitalishte is housed in a massive two–storey building with a separate entrance from the west, where the Atelier of Fine Arts is housed. The basements are used for: offices for classical guitar, a modern singing hall, rehearsal room, book depository and service premises. On the first floor of the building there is a lobby and an aerobic–hall for rent. On the first floor of the building there is a lobby and an aerobic–hall for rent. On the second floor are: music and poetry school, library with reading room and space with a capacity of about 120 people with a piano, which serves for cultural events, meetings with artists and others. The library is being transformed into an art hall – a hall with about 50 seats in which club forms and amateur activities take place. Then there follows a small book depository. The outdoor space in front of the chitalishte building in good weather is used for Talent Days as well as for an open summer reading room.
- phone: +359 32 643986; +359 885 124781
- email: [email protected]
- website: http://chitalishtehrgdanov1904.informator.bg/bg/index.pl
- Working hours
- How to get there
- 128 6th September Blvd.
Add new comment