Monument to the Unification of Bulgaria in 1885
Monument „The Unification of Bulgaria 1885”
The Unification of the Principality of Bulgaria and Eastern Rumelia is a significant historical moment that shows the Bulgarians, the neighboring countries and all the ‘great powers’ that Bulgarians not only deserve their freedom, but also that they have the power to direct their destiny and to boldly pave their way.
The Monument of Unification in Plovdiv was created in 1985 in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Unification of Eastern Rumelia and the Principality of Bulgaria in 1885. Its sculptor is Velichko Minekov. This event is one of the most important in the historical development of Bulgaria. After the Russo-Turkish war for liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule, the Berlin Peace Treaty of 1878 divided Bulgaria into two independent parts (states). The northern half of the present-day territory was called Principality of Bulgaria (under the rule of a Prince) with capital Sofia, and the southern – Eastern Rumelia (under the control of a Governor, the first of whom was the prominent Bulgarian Aleko Bogoridi) with its capital Plovdiv. The Monument of Unification depicts the Mother Motherland with the laurel wreath of victory in her hands. The wings in flight symbolize the two united parts of Bulgaria. Every year on September 6th the historical event of the Unification is noted as an official holiday in Bulgaria and a Day of Plovdiv with a solemn ceremony in the square in front of the Monument.
Add new comment